Call 911 if your child remains unconscious for over two minutes, has difficulty breathing, or if she shakes or jerks while unconscious. A weak pulse or shallow breathing requires emergency care.
How do you know if your baby is unconscious?
If you are not sure whether an infant is unconscious, check by tapping the infant’s shoulder or by flicking the bottom of the infant’s foot and shout to see if the infant responds.
What to do if a child is unresponsive and not breathing?
Learn first aid for a child who is unresponsive and not breathing
- Check for breathing by tilting their head back and looking, listening and feeling for breaths. …
- Tell someone to call 999. …
- Give five rescue breaths: tilt their head back, seal your mouth over their mouth and pinch their nose.
Why do babies get unconscious?
These episodes typically take place when there is temporarily an inadequate supply of blood and oxygen to the brain, often related to stress, fear, or overexertion. Hot weather, pain, an empty stomach, or a peculiar odor can also sometimes cause a child to faint.
How do you open an unconscious baby’s airway?
Open your child’s airway by tilting the head and lifting the chin. To do this, place your hand on their forehead and gently tilt their head back. At the same time, with your fingertips under the point of your child’s chin, lift the chin. Do not push on the soft tissues under the chin as this may block the airway.
Where do you tap unconscious babies?
Push down by a third of the depth of their chest – ideally with one hand if you are able to, otherwise use two to ensure you get the depth that you need.
What are the 5 steps for giving CPR to an infant?
These guidelines are based on information provided by the U.S. National Library of Medicine.
- Step 1: Check for responsiveness. …
- Step 2: Give 30 chest compressions. …
- Step 3: Open the airway. …
- Step 4: Look, listen, and feel for breathing. …
- Step 5: Give 2 rescue breaths.
What should you do if a choking child becomes unconscious?
What should I do if a choking child becomes unconscious?
- If a conscious choking child becomes unconscious, carefully lower the child to the ground, open the mouth and look for an object.
- If an object is seen, remove it with your finger.
- Open the person’s airway by tilting the head and try to give 2 rescue breaths.
What would make a child pass out?
Dehydration is the most common cause of fainting in children. When the body doesn’t get enough fluid intake, the blood pressure can drop, which can cause inadequate blood flow to the brain.
What are the first 3 things you must do when you come across and unresponsive child?
What you need to do
- Step 1 – Open their airway. Place one hand on the child’s forehead and gently tilt their head back. …
- Step 2 – Check to ensure they are breathing normally. …
- Step 3 – Put them in the recovery position. …
- Step 4 – If you suspect a spinal injury. …
- Step 5 – Call for help.